- 3 Large King Trumpet Mushrooms
- Dash kosher salt
- Dash ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Serving suggestion: spaghetti, linguine, or angel hair pasta, garlic bread, and a tossed salad
Heat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas
Lightly grease a shallow 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan.
Slice mushrooms into little pucks about 1/4 inch thick
Lightly dredge in flour
Dip mushrooms into beaten eggs
Then dip them into seasoned bread crumbs
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place breaded mushrooms in the hot pan, and fry them for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned.
Place the browned mushrooms in the baking pan and sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.
Spoon the tomato sauce over them and then sprinkle with the dried basil.
Arrange the mozzarella cheese slices over the mushrooms.
Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
Serve the mushrooms and sauce with spaghetti, linguine, or angel hair pasta, along with garlic bread and a tossed salad.